Volunteer with Us
Volunteers at Doctors Medical Center of Modesto provide thousands of hours of compassionate service every year to help enrich the experience of patients, their families and our hospital staff. And there’s always room for more dedicated volunteers with the Service League of Doctors Medical Center.
The work of this group of more than 150 members funds scholarships and health-related projects. The service-oriented organization was founded in 1963.
You can volunteer at our hospital in some of these ways:
- Cuddler — Provide support to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) infants and their parents by providing human contact to the infants under supervision of licensed nurses.
- Emergency Room — Provide comfort to patients and their families and assist staff as needed.
- Escort — Greet and help newly admitted patients to their rooms, as well as assist discharged patients, by wheelchair, to the outside pickup area.
- Floater — Run errands for hospital departments as requested and deliver flowers and mail to patients.
- Gift Box — Volunteers operate this gift shop. It is the Service League's most important source of funds used for health-related community projects and scholarships.
- Maternity — Provide services to the patients in the Women and Children's Center and run errands for the staff.
- West Tower (Neuro, Oncology and Critical Care): Provide assistance to visitors and staff in these departments and provide wheelchair escort to discharged patients.
- Pre-Admission Center Receptionist — Provide information and assistance to visitors in the Pre-Admission Center.
- Pre-Op — Work with the Pre-Op Care Unit nurses, patients and their families. Discharge patients and assist staff with various duties.
- Reception — Greet visitors to the hospital and assist with duties at the Information Desk in the main lobby.
Become a hospital volunteer
Doctors Medical Center is always looking for new members of the volunteer family ready to help spread joy and encouragement. All Service League members receive a training orientation in the areas of service they have selected. Please call (209) 342-3124 and leave your name and phone number or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Become a Junior Volunteer
In addition to the adult volunteer program, Doctors Medical Center also has a Junior Volunteer program for high school students. The volunteers work a four-hour shift once a week and learn responsibility as they gain experience and confidence for the future.
Students in the 9th-11th grade with a GPA of 2.5 or above are eligible to apply. For more information on the Junior Volunteer Program, please call (209) 342-3124.