How You Can Help
Help make a difference during a hospital stay
Your comfort and support is valuable when your loved one is on the road to wellness. It can actually improve the healing process. To support your loved one during their hospital stay, start by learning about their condition and treatment options. This will help you provide compassionate care — before, during and after their stay at Doctors Medical Center of Modesto.
In addition to learning about your loved one’s condition, you can also:
- Make a hospital checklist that includes what they will need during their stay
- Plan your route beforehand so you will arrive at the hospital on time
- Decorate the hospital room with small but special items from home, such as children’s drawings and photographs
- Prepare a list of approved visitors so your loved one doesn’t have to worry about that during the hospital stay
- Know the names of their medical team and communicate with them often
- Decide who will manage tasks once the patient is ready to leave:
- Who will drive the patient home?
- Who will prepare meals, clean the house or do laundry?
- Who will take care of children or pets?
- Make a checklist of tasks that need to be completed after the hospital stay:
- Stock the house with healthy snacks
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions
- Keep track of medications and when to take them